Four Reasons You Should Do an Internship for Yourself (Part 1 of 2)

Four Reasons to Do an Internship For Yourself

When I got an internship with my city’s communications division during my last semester of college, work experience became my personal buzz word. Anyone who learned of my new position could not say enough about the invaluable work experience I would have by the time I left. I did the same. In talking to people during the first weeks of the internship, and in the times when I was struggling to keep up with expectations, I repeated the same mantra: work experience. Work experience. Work experience.

A year and a half later, I have to admit that I did not know what I was talking about. I was using the phrase in the proper context, but I could not truly understand what work experience would do for me until I had it, which came slowly and in waves.

I can’t guarantee that should you get an internship, your experience will be as beneficial and enjoyable as mine was. I wish every hard-working college student could experience what I did, but I can guarantee that if you bring the right ingredients to the table, you will leave an internship with a lot more than you imagine. Here are four reasons you should do an internship for yourself.


Prove your professional worth (to yourself). 
Have you ever felt like you were lying your way through an interview (but you weren’t)? 

“I’m an excellent communicator. I have a strong work ethic. I work well independently and within a team.” As you hear yourself say these words, the lie-o-meter in your head is going crazy. It’s not that these are actually lies. Experiences you had working at a summer camp and frozen yogurt shop can validate your statements, but it’s hard to convince someone of something you don’t personally believe. An internship can help. 

It was through the assignments I didn’t think I could do, that I grew the most. A few weeks into my internship, I was asked to write a press release for an upcoming event. The task was already daunting because I had only written three press releases so far. On top of that, the requester was the manager of our division. I had to submit and resubmit the piece about five times before it was found acceptable. 

The problems weren’t of the grammatical, spelling or structural sort. “More detail, tell them why they should come, paint them a picture,” was the feedback I received. I had never attended this event, so I was having a hard time describing it, but then something clicked. If I actually wanted to succeed, I needed to dig deep and piece together what I did know. This was merely a challenge, not an impassible obstacle. 

That day, I was very tempted to say, “I can’t.” If I had, I would not have realized, “I can.” That is that sort of confidence and experience you want to take to an interview and into a career.


Learn to be trustworthy with the small things.
When I interviewed for the position, I was told almost immediately that this internship did not involve picking up coffee or dropping off dry cleaning. I nodded with a (probably goofy) smile. I was willing to do almost anything for the position, because I needed the work experience. If they had told me they wanted me to walk their cats, I probably would have.

Many internships do require tasks of similar nature, in which case I recommend you approach with an “above and beyond” attitude. Look for ways to prove your character and work ethic. Some tasks may feel demeaning; regardless, put into the opportunity what you hope to get out of it.

While going to Starbucks was not on my to-do list, I did have a few assignments, which at the time felt “below me.” One was photographing a stuffed animal that served as a promotional product for the city’s events and programs for several months. It was a great outlet for my creativity, but many times during the campaign I could be found at my desk “playing with dolls,” as passersby called it. I bristled at the comments. I wanted to be seen as a hard-worker, someone who contributed to impactful projects. What I didn’t know was my “playing with dolls” would help increase the city’s Instagram followers by 23%. You better believe that number went on my resume.

Moral of the story, work hard at the little things, so that your superiors know you can be trusted with more. The time and energy you give the “lesser tasks” may feel pointless, but like my 23%, it will eventually pay off. Just give it time.



Like what you’ve read so far? Read part two for more reasons to get an internship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Ways to Reduce Loans While You Are Still in School

Four Reasons Why College is an Investment in Yourself

C & O Trattoria